Mirrored image of the Centennial Bridge

Mirrored image of the Centennial Bridge
One frosty and very still morning in November, 2010, Centennial Bridge, Miramichi, NB, Canada

About Me

My photo
Miramichi, NB, Canada
Spiritual,fun loving,hard working

Followers

Hay Island, Neguac, New Brunswick, Canada

Hay Island, Neguac, New Brunswick, Canada
Reflections in the water

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Sepia Saturday 201

This week, the prompt is houses.  I have selected a few from around here (Miramichi) and around the Atlantic provinces, also including Quebec.  I will start with a couple of stately homes here in Miramichi.  They are still standing, I remember going by them as a young girl, still like to see them as I drive by now.



And of course, there was the house I was brought up in, not as grand, that's for sure, but a lot of good memories there.


Then there is this old house I happened upon on a trip to Miscou Island, a little island just off North Eastern New Brunswick.  There must be a lot of stories that could come out of this house....


This is an old sugar shack, belonged to Uncle Albert from Kamouraska county in Northern Quebec.  I have made a few visits during maple syrup time in the Spring, yum yum, can still taste it now...


These were the maples behind the sugar shack.

Well, be it ever so humble, there is no place like home!!!

For more "homey" pictures, mosey on down to www.sepiasaturday.blogspot.com

21 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tour! I agree that those homes must have many stories "if walls could talk."

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first two are fine places, but the others have more character as shown in their photos. Perhaps we need to know more about the first ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Bob, as in all places, there are some that come from "old money", the first two houses were very rich families, they were also very nice people, I had the opportunity to meet them later in life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know very little about Quebec, so like Wendy, thank you for this tour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy seeing homes from other parts of the world.

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  6. different countries have such different styles of buildings. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have collected some postcards of maple syrup making, but I have never actually seen the sap being collected or the syrup being made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Postcardy---It is quite a process, there is a big wood stove in the sugar shack with great big cauldrons of maple syrup, takes quite a bit of syrup to make even one bottle. Then there is also maple butter, and maple candy that is made.

      Delete
  8. Agree with Boundforoz - such different styles to here.
    I hadn't seen the maple syrup collecting before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The first home is very impressive. I feel that the homes in Australia are very boring compared to other countries.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just bet even the old shack had it's moments of happy times. What fun, I am a fan of houses and seeing how folks lived, this was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A very nice array of house photos from the grand to the sublime and to the memories of what might have been, yes if the walls could talk..

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved the photo of the house you grew up in. You'll have to tell us more about that in a future blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @BooBook, yes memories there were some, we were eight in that little house, Mom, Dad, and we six children!!!

      Delete
  13. Wonderful houses. I love looking at old homes that have been lived in and show it.

    And how lucky to have experienced the maple syrup time. I'm envious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The sugar shack makes me think of maple syrup pie. Nothing better when it's 20 below zero.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Helen, anytime is a good time for Maple Syrup pie, or like I like to call it, Sugar Pie!!

      Delete
  15. Old, abandoned houses fascinate me. I go off imagining what happened there in years gone by. The one you found in Miscou Island still looks charming, especially with its red roof. And indeed, 'be it ever so humble there's no place like home!'

    Hazel

    ReplyDelete
  16. They used to take us on school trips to a sugar shack here, in Ontario. Nothing like real, pure maple syrup. I can't eat any other kind!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sometimes it's what happened in the houses and the family connections that make them special, more than any fancy design.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Some grand houses but your childhood home has more meaning as it is personal to you.

    ReplyDelete