Mirrored image of the Centennial Bridge

Mirrored image of the Centennial Bridge
One frosty and very still morning in November, 2010, Centennial Bridge, Miramichi, NB, Canada

About Me

My photo
Miramichi, NB, Canada
Spiritual,fun loving,hard working

Followers

Hay Island, Neguac, New Brunswick, Canada

Hay Island, Neguac, New Brunswick, Canada
Reflections in the water

Friday, October 14, 2011

For Sepia Saturday, October 15, 2011

 Since this week's theme is soldiers and eating, I thought I would submit this picture of Arthur Godin, a former neighbor of mine.  It was taken during the liberation of Holland in April, 1945.  Although Arthur was a cook in the army, he was also a good shot.  When Arthur died, a neighbor googled his name / sniper and this picture showed up among others.  The family used it for the program cover.  For other interesting photos and themes, go to:

http://sepiasaturday.blogspot.com

12 comments:

  1. It is rather surprising to see a cook as a sniper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A man of many talents obviously. Interesting that the family chose this shot to memorialise him. I suppose an army cookpot wouldn’t bring the same cachet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother told me of the arrival of the Canadians in planes over Amsterdam during the liberation, and how everyone sang "Canada O Canada."

    ReplyDelete
  4. What An Amazing Photograph! My Dad Fought In The Battle of Arnhem ,So It Has a special Interest.Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The telescopic sight shows he means business. Not bad for a cook - great photo or should I say shot in this case.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm struck by the destruction all around him and his apparent calm in the face of it all. Excellent tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was an amazing photo. My father-in-law was a cook in WWI and served in Germany but we don't have any photos.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's quite a photograph. A brave man, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is a novel on this very subject, but I can't recall the name as I've only read a review. But the principal character is a mild-mannered man from the mid-west who served as a sniper during the war - on the German side if I remember correctly. Undoubtedly this man also found it a changing experience.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is something very stark about this picture. The contrast between the ordinary room against the destruction and the sniper make it very dramatic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A former English neighbor of mine used to be in the British army and fight for the liberation of Holland as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. He Is My Grand - Father He Is Sadly Dead. He Died In 2007. Hes One Of My Biggest Inspirations! I Want To Be A Veteran Like Him Someday

    ReplyDelete